Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Step 1 - Choosing The Right Types of Cigars and Rouge Beer Review

Choosing the Right Types of Cigars

Being able to choose the right types of cigars for some people may be overwhelming and sometimes scary.

My first experience with a cigar was years ago while golfing with a few friends from work. Before our round I was handed a cigar and said to myself, what the hell do I do with this? I don’t smoke cigarettes and you hand me a cigar? Of course being the “follower” and not wanting to look like the odd man out, I accepted. Well, at least I thought I accepted…..until I lit up! Well to put it bluntly….I puked after two or three puffs….literally…I thought to myself  after regaining composure, why would anyone in their right mind smoke these things? WOW!
The next time out on the course, I was again handed another cigar, this time I declined. My buddy asked why? I said, do you remember last time..my shoes are still not the same! He at that point explained to me the in and out of cigar smoking. We talked the entire round about the history, size, shape and flavors. I was amazed and was now very interested. He at that point took back the cigar and assured me that this time would be better. The cigar was a lighter more mellow smoke and much more enjoyable……So….

Here we are, many years later and now I’m that guy that’s passing out the cigars.  Enough of my story, on with the show.

Your Own Personal Taste:
As with most things, there are as many opinions on what to smoke when, along with the size, shape, taste and so on. I personally do not smoke cigars in my home, although I have adapted my garage into a part time smoking lounge, equipped with a lawn chair, garbage can table and a 3 tap beer system. I smoke the bulk of my cigars during the summer months, either on the golf course or floating around the pool. So if you ask me anytime is a good time to enjoy a cigar. Again, you make the choice. Just words to the wise, when you have found that “right time” to relax and light up that stick, enjoy it! There is nothing that could be more disappointing then leaving a half smoked cigars in the tray, especially a cigar you are really enjoying.

Tip:
Here’s a rule of thumb....if you are new to smoking cigars, start off with the milder cigars. As your taste evolves, and your imagination starts to grow, so will your choice with other types of cigars. There are basically 3 types of cigars (I will discuss in a later blog):

·          Handmade
·          Machine Made
·          Hand Rolled

Lastly, when shopping for your cigars, I suggest you find a local smoke shop that deals specifically with cigars. This way any questions you may have about your future purchase can be answered by a knowledgeable person, this person most likely enjoys cigars and is versed in the inventory he or she is selling. They are your “go-to” people for advice and direction. Please USE THEM after all that’s what they are there for.

In other sessions I will be discussing the cigar types, some history, ring sizes, shapes and flavors. Please take the time to learn the different types of cigars and DON’T be afraid to ask questions. Everyone was a “newbie” at one time or another. Don’t let others push you into their cigar smoking direction. You will find your own little spot in the cigars world and it will be YOUR spot! 


Just remember to have fun with this, learn, ask questions and most of all ENJOY yourself!


Now for some beer news:
I'ma HUGE fan of Rogue beers! Here's another good one....

rogue-dads-little-helper-2011-420

The boys at Rogue Ales (Newport, OR) have made some changes to their Dad’s Little Helper for this coming spring.
This brew if you remember was a Malt Liquor made with 40% Midwestern Corn and Crystal Hops, the beer had a sweet, crisp flavor of the corn. The changes that will come this year will be form a Malt Liquor to a Black IPA.

A little background on the new brew change:

Dad’s Little Helper Black IPA will have deep mahogany colors, uses roasted malts and a variety of aroma hops. This beer should give a nice hoppy finish with an IBU of 70.

The projected beer stats:

15º PLATO
70 IBU
73 AA
77º Lovibond

I'm Expecting to see it beginning in April or May in both 22 oz. bomber bottles and 13 gallon kegs. The boys at Krugel’s Georgetown Deli will more than likely give this one a home…I know there will be a few bombers in my fridge!

Bill

1 comment:

  1. Interesting read about choosing the right types of cigars,According to me deciding which type of cigar is right for you is always a complicated and time-consuming process and especially if you are new to the cigar-smoking world.The best advice i can give is to experiment,test out as many different types and brands of cigar as you can,and in time you will learn which kinds suit you better than others.

    ReplyDelete